Wednesday's Child

Thursday, September 16, 2004

I don't like birthdays, at least not birthday parties. I don't even know why I am having one this year. I think my mom roped me into having one since I am turning eighteen. I just feel uncomfortable having a bunch of people over all because of me. I don't like the whole part where everybody sings and makes me blush (to about the shade of a tomato). It all makes me really uncomfortable and nervous for some reason. I love the part before the party when you get to clean and decorate the house. I really don't like being the center of attention, it stresses me out, and I don't do well under stress and pressure. In fact, I do the opposite of well. I don't know, I will have fun, but it always makes me nervous (just writing this is making me nervous and shaky). Whatever Hannah, get over it.

4 Comments:

  • I'm laughing out loud, which isn't nice of me. But I SOOOO understand the aversion. Just wait till you get married. When I walked down the aisle, I was dying to tell everyone to just look at each *other* for goodness sake!

    Two tips:
    * Singing the birthday song is always excruciating, because people start it out slow and get even slower as they go. Since Mom's a choir director, see if she can get away with directing a quicker tempo. I'm not kidding with this. I did this when my mom's Aquacize group wanted to sing 'Happy Birthday' to Greg (never mind why -- long story) and everyone was surprised how much better it sounded.

    * Forget about all the attention and compliments, and remember that it's actually much harder to *get* a compliment graciously than to *give* one. People are doing all this to honor you, or if this works better for you, to honor the image of God in you. Imagine that they're talking about someone else. Say 'thank you' like you mean it, and you return the honor to them or share it with the whole room. Stammer, blush and argue that you're not really that nice, and you dishonor both them and you.

    Grace

    By Blogger Grace, at September 16, 2004 at 12:04 PM  

  • Thanks Grace (and I do mean it).

    By Blogger Hannah, at September 16, 2004 at 1:11 PM  

  • Fine…we’re not comin’! ;-)

    By Blogger John, at September 16, 2004 at 2:37 PM  

  • John,
    You know that I want you guys to come, even if you are a TURD!

    By Blogger Hannah, at September 16, 2004 at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home