Wednesday's Child

Friday, December 10, 2004

A thought

I had a thought the other day that has been staying with me, I need to get it off my chest. So here it is...

...The past few days in my psychology class we have been discussing schizophrenia. This disorder both fascinates and terrifies me. We watched a video of people with schizophrenia talking about what it is like to be plagued with this terrible illness. As I was watching this video I was initially very sad, but then one man said something that made me understand something, even though I am not sure if I am right about this. This man said that in his hallucinations the voices he hears are always trying to control him, to manipulate him into doing what they want. I don't really think that schizophrenics are having hallucinations, I think actually that they see and hear what the rest of us can't. I think that what they hear and see are actually demons. They recognize the thoughts and desires for what they are, they recognize them as coming from somewhere else and being pushed upon them. Most people on the other hand think of these thoughts and desires as coming from themselves, they don't see their true origin. I know that if all the thoughts and temptations that are thrown at me were any stronger that I would go crazy. Anyone who has to deal so closely with a demon is bound to have some negative effects, especially if he/she is not spiritually equipped to handle such an encounter. In fact, the one common symptom of all schizophrenics are hallucinations. This may sound far fetched to some, but I think that people are not crazy and thus the have hallucinations. I think that they see or hear the demons and the repeated encounters with them make them go crazy. They are constantly tormented. I shudder to think of this, especially since there are moments in my own life when I feel so overcome and tormented that I wonder if I am crazy and how much longer I can hang on. They experience up close the reality that the devil and his cohorts are constantly trying to control our actions in order to draw us away from God.

7 Comments:

  • It's entirely possible, and it's a scary thought.

    Just remember that you have one of the best tools to defend yourself against attacks like that...prayer.

    By Blogger Sean, at December 10, 2004 at 12:36 PM  

  • This discussion is interesting and I have never considered the relationship of this disorder to possible spiritual warfare. What a revelation of sorts.
    I believe that the absence of God is hell and the spirit/soul that is tormented by demonic powers is not armed with the power of Christ.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

    By Blogger promd8, at December 11, 2004 at 4:26 PM  

  • I just studied schizophrenia last week! No matter how much they tell us that the voices and hallucinations are due to some neurotransmitter imbalance in the brain, I believe the same: that there must be something more paranormal or supernatural going on. It's hard not to think so if they can hear or see things we can't. Besides, bees see things we can't since they view things in the UV range. Why is it so implausible that humans too can possibly experience things outside the "normal" realm?

    By Blogger Chaotic Heart, at December 11, 2004 at 4:35 PM  

  • Thank you both for your comments, it is nice to know that my musings aren't completely insane. God bless.

    By Blogger Hannah, at December 13, 2004 at 10:14 AM  

  • "Thank you BOTH for your comments:

    Ouch. I see how it is Hannah...or should I say...hannaH.

    :P

    By Blogger Sean, at December 13, 2004 at 1:13 PM  

  • Glad you finally took the hint Sean...just joking. Here you are...thank you for your comment Sean. It is good to know that you can spell my name backwards, it takes such talent.

    By Blogger Hannah, at December 14, 2004 at 8:43 AM  

  • "I believe that the absence of God is hell and the spirit/soul that is tormented by demonic powers is not armed with the power of Christ."

    Just a thought but if God is Omnipotent how can there be a place where he is absent. I believe there is God in Hell. It's still a mystery to me but I've heard that theory of Hell being the only place God is not, and I think that that is a contradiction to part of our beliefs.

    By Blogger E Rica, at December 14, 2004 at 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home